Sunday, January 9, 2011

POP LIFE

Recently I was hired to work the door at G Lounge in Chelsea on Friday nights. A door person is hired for one or numerous reasons. I started on New Years Eve and was just being fun and smiling because it was a holiday, but my second week was slightly different!
My second week at the door I wore a beautiful black rabbit fur coat with a rat tail belt, shiny black tights, hooker heels, black and red stripes on my face; it was fabulous! DID I forget the glitter? OF COURSE THERE WAS GLITTER! Then I got to thinking that I was looking fierce then I feel like most people walking in the door should be dressed at least decently. They need to look good. They need style, and if they're a vistim then they need to find a tudor.
What's happening to going out and looking as if you just got out of the gym, or rolled out of bed and showing up to a club or bar in WAL-MART sweats? I talk to many of our "ancestors", the last generation, and everyone says that it was a day where everyone had fun getting dressed up in costumes or just to look great at a club, and if they didn't, they'd be turned away.
I have noticed this "epidemic" slowly growing in nightlife. I call it an epidemic because people need to get the point and educate themselves on the scene and they wouldn't get so angry when you turn them away for their wardrobe malfunction. There are tools, so fix it!
I agree that today people don't go out as much because of modern technology allowing guys to hookup off of mobile applications and/or internet "dating" sites, but say you do go out to a club with a mission to pick someone up- I certainly would NOT take someone home wearing sweats. I have been known to turn down a guy for tieing his shirt around his waist. He was gorgeous, but there was something about it that turned me off so much. We are in 2011 now people, get with it!
I like that Lady Gaga even focused on bringing back some of that club kid look. She is who she is, but it's not just on stage, it is now who she is. Some people don't want to get noticed like Gaga gets attention, but you can still go above and beyond in other ways to dress nicely so a door person can be nice. There is a reason why pretty people get to the front of the line and many free things. It's because we care to look good because it makes us feel good!
I've been studying things more and learning what to change about how I am working and I got a hold on what different crowds bring to the bar. I also take into consideration who is spending money, and who is sitting there all night and not buying drinks and who is there to have a good time. It's about time that "Veronica" starts to work that diva door slowly, but surely.

Here's to old school NYC NIGHTLIFE!!!
CHEERS!

That's all!

ps - My favorite moment at the door SO FAR is when two boyfriends walked in and two minutes later they walked out in an argument.
"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SLEPT WITH HIM!!!!"

*SLAP*

No comments:

Post a Comment